qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Re: Java QMF console classes in org.apache.qpid.console seem very broken!!
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:30:31 GMT
On 06/10/2011 06:42 PM, Ted Ross wrote:
> One of the main differences in QMFv2 is that the messages use the
> map/list encodings which make the contents much more user friendly. As
> such, the functionality of qpid-config could readily be implemented
> using just the JMS messaging interface (or any other language interface)
> without need for special libraries.

There are two issues that make QMFv2 awkward from JMS.

The first is simple to fix but can't be done external to the library,
and that is that there appears to be no way to set the AMQP 0-10
specific app-id field on a message which the brokers QMFv2
implementation currently requires.

I'd suggest we follow the approach taken by the python and c++ clients
and allow AMQP specific fields to be accessed via a specially named
custom property as in the attached patch. I've raised a JIRA to track
this: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3302. I'd also quite
like to relax the implementation on the broker to not force this.

The second is that the format of response to queries is an AMQP encoded
list message. There is no built in support for that in the current JMS
client. You can of course do the decode externally, but it would be nice
to get the library to do that for you, perhaps exposing it as a
StreamMessage.

I've raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3303 to track
that. Again, ideally the protocol used for management would also evolve
to allow map messages to be sufficient (e.g. some property in the query
that indicates acceptable response formats).

> I'll see if I can dig up the
> documentation for the message formats for the broker.

I think the best resource currently available is
https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/qmf-map-message-protocol.html, that's a
reasonably good starting point but it's not complete.