qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Backwards compatibility when AMQP V1.0 come online?
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:07:35 GMT
On 03/10/2011 05:47 PM, fadams wrote:
> I'm currently using Qpid 0.8 which uses AMQP 0.10
>
> We're about to start using it pretty seriously and we'll have a fair number
> of clients connecting. I'm conscious that I've been arguing for a design
> that in effect introduces a significant degree of coupling, which is kind of
> ironic as it's logically a pretty decoupled pattern.
>
> What I really mean is that the client systems all have to use one or other
> AMQP client runtime (they will most likely be using Qpid with some possibly
> using Camel's AMQP).
>
> So everything will be fine and dandy in the short term as we'll have AMQP
> 0.10.
>
> What's going to happen when AMQP 1.0 comes along?
>
> So as a scenario I might rather like to upgrade the broker to v1.0, but I
> really really don't want to have a massive dependency that would force all
> clients to upgrade in lock-step.
>
> That would be a massive failing for a messaging system that was all about
> introducing a high level of decoupling into the Enterprise.
>
> So I'm assuming that when support for AMQP v1.0 is introduced AMQP v0.10
> support will be retained for some period to give a degree of backwards
> compatibility and avoid this scenario.

Yes, I too believe that is highly desirable. I'm am hopeful of having
some time to devote to some AMQP 1.0 development work in the near
future. The plan would be to start a branch and get some prototyping
underway, which would then give some more concrete experience on which
to base a plan for getting 1.0 support on the mainline. I'll definitely
mail the list with more on plans here soon.

I would also note that the messaging API has been deliberately designed
to allow for a straightforward transition to using AMQP 1.0.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org