qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Connection close automatically after 4 minutes
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 13:12:10 GMT
On 03/04/2011 09:02 AM, Justin Cheong wrote:
> Hi
> I am using C++ broker ( version 0.8 ) on RHEL 4.My client is running on .Net on Windows
7 and C++ RHEL. I downloaded from the file qpid-dotnet-0-10-0.8.zip which supports C++ broker.
> I am using the topic pub/sub example.I am sending message from RHEL and receiving it
from Windows7 machine.The sender is written in C++ in RHEL. The receiver is written in C#
in Windows7.All is working fine. But after almost exactly 4 minutes, the broker will close
the connection to my window client and output the following line ( error Connection 10.10.10.173:50413
timed out: closing ).
> The sender is periodically sending message to the receiver at 1 second interval during
the whole process.
> I have written another receiver program in C++ in RHEL to receive the same message by
listening to the same topic and routing key.When I run both receiver ( Windows7&  RHEL
) and the sender, after 4 minutes the Windows7 receiver will stop receiving messages. The
RHEL receiver continues to receive message.
> Anybody encounter such a problem?

The error message would tend to indicate that its related to heartbeats.

I'm not terribly familiar with that particular client, but looking at
the source code it seems to just always accept the brokers maximum
supported heartbeat interval (which happens to be 120 seconds, so two
intervals would explain the 4 minutes timeout). I suspect the client is
negotiating heartbeats on, but is then never sending them.

Short of modifying the code to either turn off heartbeating or start
sending heartbeats automatically in the library, you could try a
workaround of sending a dummy message to the broker over the receivers
connection every 2 minutes (or something like a MessageAccept perhaps).

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org