qpid-users mailing list archives

From fadams <fraser.ad...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Is it possible to have persistent circular queues
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:29:37 GMT
Hi Again

Re the response:

Gordon Sim wrote:

> When using qpid-config it would be:
>
>    qpid-config add queue my-durable-ring-queue --limit-policy ring
> --max-queue-count N --durable

This still doesn't seem to be doing what I'd hoped.

I created a queue as follows:

qpid-config add queue myqueue --durable --max-queue-count 50000 --file-size
5000 --file-count 16 --limit-policy ring

so this should have created a queue of size 5000*64K*16 ~5GB

My producer is sending messages of 50K so with max-queue-count of 50000 I'd
expect 50K * 50K to be used ~2.5GB

However when I run my producer with no consumer it happily runs through with
no exception (I had a produce run of 100000 items to see what happens) but
here's the rub - when I fire up my consumer it only receives 2096 items not
50000. 2096*50K ~104800000 which is roughly the default-queue-limit

What I really wanted to achieve is a queue larger than my available memory,
but I'd also like to silently dump the oldest stuff without throwing an
exception back to the producer - which leads back to my original
question......

So is it possible to set up a very large durable queue that behaves as a
ring buffer (of roughly the size of the queue as opposed to the
default-queue-limit size)

MTIA
fadams