qpid-users mailing list archives

From Mark Moseley <moseleym...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cluster failing to resurrect durable static route
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 23:50:22 GMT
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/28/2010 07:00 PM, Mark Moseley wrote:
>>
>> Sorry in advance that this is long. I've tried to explain it as
>> succinctly but thoroughly as possible.
>>
>> I've got a 2-node qpid test cluster at each of 2 datacenters, which
>> are federated together with a single durable static route between
>> each. Qpid is version 0.8. Corosync and openais are stock Squeeze
>> (1.2.1-3 and 1.1.2-2, respectively). OS is Squeeze, 32-bit, on Dell
>> Poweredge 1950s, kernel 2.6.36. The static route is durable and is set
>> up over SSL.
>>
>> This is quite possibly just a conceptual problem with how I'm setting
>> this up, so if anyone has a 'right way' to do it, I'm all ears :)
>>
>> Just a prelim: Call them cluster A with nodes A1 and A2, and cluster B
>> with nodes B1 and B2. The static route is defined as A1->B1 for an
>> exchange on cluster B (call it exchangeB), and the other route is
>> B1->A1 for an exchange on cluster A (call it exchangeA). After setting
>> this up, things seem to work pretty well. I can send from any node in
>> cluster A to exchangeB and it's received by any receiving node in
>> cluster B. Running "qpid-config ... exchanges --bindings" on cluster A
>> nodes show the route to cluster B for exchangeB and vice versa. That
>> seems to be good.
>>
>> The trouble I'm having regards failover. I'm finding that if I fail
>> the cluster in the order where the node with the route on it lives:
>>
>> * Kill A1, kill A2, start A2, start A1  ->  The bindings on cluster B
>> for exchangeA get set back up automatically
>>
>> Also, after I kill A1, the route seems to fail over correctly to A2,
>> i.e. with A1 dead and A2 still alive, looking at qpid-route on B1 or
>> B2 says:
>> Exchange 'exchangeA' (direct)
>>     bind [mytopic] =>  bridge_queue_1_f6d80145-67d2-4659-b26e-80c4da3ae85b
>>
>> If I stop the cluster in this order:
>>
>> * Kill A2, kill A1, start A1, start A2  ->  The bindings on cluster B
>> for exchangeA don't get set up, i.e. on B1 or B2, qpid-route says:
>> Exchange 'exchangeA' (direct)
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or is this a known limitation? I'd expect
>> that regardless of ordering, a durable route would come back up on its
>> own, on either node. I'd also think that if it was a limitation, it'd
>> happen in the other order, when A2 was the last node standing,
>> considering the route was created for A1.
>>

> I think you have uncovered a bug, can you create a JIRA for it and assign it
> to me  initially? Detailed instructions on how to reproduce are greatly
> appreciated.

I've created this as JIRA 2992. I wasn't quite clever enough to figure
out how to assign it to you :)   Sorry to be daft, but I can't seem to
find any link/button that looks like it'd let me do that.

>> I had tried earlier to use source routes for my routing and they
>> seemed to do better at coming back after failover but on the source
>> clusters' side, the non-primary node (A2) would often blow up when
>> cluster B was down and a node in cluster B came back online, always
>> saying this in A2's qpid logs (10.1.58.3 is A1, 10.1.58.4 is A2):
>>
>> 2010-12-28 17:19:37 info ACL Allow id:walclust@QPID action:create
>> ObjectType:link Name:
>> 2010-12-28 17:19:37 info Connection is a federation link
>> 2010-12-28 17:19:39 error Channel exception: not-attached: Channel 1
>> is not attached (qpid/amqp_0_10/SessionHandler.cpp:39)
>> 2010-12-28 17:19:39 critical cluster(10.1.58.4:3128 READY/error) local
>> error 3054 did not occur on member 10.1.58.3:3369: not-attached:
>> Channel 1 is not)
>> 2010-12-28 17:19:39 critical Error delivering frames: local error did
>> not occur on all cluster members : not-attached: Channel 1 is not
>> attached (qpid/a)
>> 2010-12-28 17:19:39 notice cluster(10.1.58.4:3128 LEFT/error) leaving
>> cluster walclust
>> 2010-12-28 17:19:39 notice Shut down
>>

> This also sounds like a bug, can you create a separate JIRA for it? Assign
> to me as well.

In debugging this, I figured I really ought to upgrade
corosync/openais for the heck of it. I just did that a couple of hours
ago and now I'm going to re-test the source route case. If upgrading
corosync/openais doesn't fix it, I'll open up another JIRA.

Thanks!

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org