qpid-users mailing list archives

From arunkumar S <computinglife.aku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AMQP Standard
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:44:00 GMT
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Steve Huston <shuston@riverace.com> wrote:

> No, the API is not part of the standard.
>
> > Could someone please clarify this for me?
>
> JMS is an API that is often used with Java and it is more-or-less
> standard for Java messaging. However, it doesn't have access to all AMQP
> features and the other APIs to Qpid are not standardized and may differ
> from the API to other AMQP implementations.

Thanks for the explanation Steve. May i know why this is so ?

I would have thought that having the API along with the network specs would
have completed the loop and would have enabled users to move between
multiple messaging systems with ease, without compromising the
understanding, which would have increased the AMQP's development ease.

Isnt it a risk to have differences in API break the interoperability like

sendMessage() from vendor A has xyz as side effects whereas sendMessage()
from vendor B only has xy side effects? Or is AMQP meant to be the glue
between different systems like MQ / MSMQ ?

I ask in the interest of learning

Thanks
Arun