qpid-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Matos <bruno.ma...@paradigmaxis.pt>
Subject Re: Journal with LVQ
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 15:31:51 GMT

On 2011/01/12, at 17:33, Gordon Sim wrote:

> On 01/11/2011 04:30 PM, Bruno Matos wrote:
>> I'm publishing messages to a durable LVQ, when I run the publisher
>> for
>> the first time the journal stays almost full, then I send the exact
>> same
>> messages, expecting the old ones to be replaced, but after some
>> time the
>> connection is closed with "Enqueue capacity threshold exceeded on
>> queue". With qpid-tool I can see that msgDepth and byteDepth are
>> exactly
>> the same before and after the second run. Is this the expected
>> behavior?
>
> Depends on what you mean by 'expected' :-)
>
> It is certainly the case that the linux journal will reach capacity
> with different queue depths, depending on exact sequences of
> changes. i.e. the capacity is not simply a function of the final
> state, but also of the path to get there. In the second case there
> would be additional dequeue records and the file boundaries might
> not align the same way etc, so the journal space can be used up for
> fewer enqueued messages.

Thank you Gordon.
I think I can say that's the expected to me... :) Although I need to
know what journal size is effectively in use, can be a percentage, is
that possible? I have a stored queue for browsing, like a dictionary,
that is updated every night, and I want to reset it only if it reaches
to a given percentage of journal size.

Tia.

--
Bruno Matos