qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: AMQP Standard
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:28:30 GMT
On 01/24/2011 01:44 PM, arunkumar S wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Steve Huston<shuston@riverace.com>  wrote:
>

>> No, the API is not part of the standard.
>>
>>> Could someone please clarify this for me?
>>
>> JMS is an API that is often used with Java and it is more-or-less
>> standard for Java messaging. However, it doesn't have access to all AMQP
>> features and the other APIs to Qpid are not standardized and may differ
>> from the API to other AMQP implementations.
>>

> Thanks for the explanation Steve. May i know why this is so ?
>
> I would have thought that having the API along with the network specs would
> have completed the loop and would have enabled users to move between
> multiple messaging systems with ease, without compromising the
> understanding, which would have increased the AMQP's development ease.
>
> Isnt it a risk to have differences in API break the interoperability like
>
> sendMessage() from vendor A has xyz as side effects whereas sendMessage()
> from vendor B only has xy side effects? Or is AMQP meant to be the glue
> between different systems like MQ / MSMQ ?
>
> I ask in the interest of learning

It's not uncommon to standardize interoperability before portability. It's hard
work to get consensus on a lot of details so interop is a more tractable initial
target and is useful in its own right. The AMQP working group may standardize
APIs in the future but I don't know of any specific plans. We would probably
propose the QPID API if that happens.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org