qpid-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Kirkham <Thomas.Kirk...@nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject RE: Why use the C++ broker versus the Java broker?
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 08:07:49 GMT
Hi Drew,

    I my experience as a beginner to qpid I spent allot of time with the Java broker versions
6 and 7. I was trying to get some publish and subscribe applications working with SSL. With
help from this board I came to the conclusion that it was beyond my skills or not possible
using the Java broker. So I used the C++ broker and got it working quickly using my java clients.

    So, I think the C++ is better in this side of things and the documentation also seems
to be a bit more complete for the C++ version.

Cheers,

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew Vogel [mailto:drewpvogel@gmail.com]
Sent: 03 November 2010 16:09
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Subject: Why use the C++ broker versus the Java broker?

Hi. I'm new to Qpid (and AMQP in general). I'm having a bit of trouble determining which broker
to use. The compatibility page[1] says:

        There are two brokers:

        C++ with support for AMQP 0-10
        Java with support for AMQP 0-8, 0-9, and 0-10.

The C++ broker supports only a subset of what the Java broker does, so is there any reason
(other than the never-ending performance comparisons between Java and native languages) to
use the C++ broker?
Is the Java broker being replaced by the C++ broker? Is the C++ broker intended mainly for
platforms without a reliable Java run-time? The permissions structure seems to differ between
the two brokers, with the C++ broker relying on a newer ACL system, but I haven't used it
yet, so I'm relying on the (somewhat sparse) documentation. I've tried to search the list
archives for answers to these questions but the only info I found referred to version 0.6,
so I'm not sure that the info is still current.

Will someone explain this to me? Is this something that should be in the FAQ or am I just
missing something obvious?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/amqp-compatibility.html

Drew Vogel

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately
delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message
or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not
necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org