qpid-users mailing list archives

From Drew Vogel <drewpvo...@gmail.com>
Subject Why use the C++ broker versus the Java broker?
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:09:26 GMT
Hi. I'm new to Qpid (and AMQP in general). I'm having a bit of trouble
determining which broker to use. The compatibility page[1] says:

        There are two brokers:

        C++ with support for AMQP 0-10
        Java with support for AMQP 0-8, 0-9, and 0-10.

The C++ broker supports only a subset of what the Java broker does, so
is there any reason (other than the never-ending performance
comparisons between Java and native languages) to use the C++ broker?
Is the Java broker being replaced by the C++ broker? Is the C++ broker
intended mainly for platforms without a reliable Java run-time? The
permissions structure seems to differ between the two brokers, with
the C++ broker relying on a newer ACL system, but I haven't used it
yet, so I'm relying on the (somewhat sparse) documentation. I've tried
to search the list archives for answers to these questions but the
only info I found referred to version 0.6, so I'm not sure that the
info is still current.

Will someone explain this to me? Is this something that should be in
the FAQ or am I just missing something obvious?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/amqp-compatibility.html

Drew Vogel

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org