qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Why use the C++ broker versus the Java broker?
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:23:33 GMT
On 11/03/2010 04:09 PM, Drew Vogel wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to Qpid (and AMQP in general). I'm having a bit of trouble
> determining which broker to use. The compatibility page[1] says:
>
>          There are two brokers:
>
>          C++ with support for AMQP 0-10
>          Java with support for AMQP 0-8, 0-9, and 0-10.
>
> The C++ broker supports only a subset of what the Java broker does, so
> is there any reason (other than the never-ending performance
> comparisons between Java and native languages) to use the C++ broker?
> Is the Java broker being replaced by the C++ broker?

No

> Is the C++ broker
> intended mainly for platforms without a reliable Java run-time?

Not really

> The
> permissions structure seems to differ between the two brokers, with
> the C++ broker relying on a newer ACL system, but I haven't used it
> yet, so I'm relying on the (somewhat sparse) documentation. I've tried
> to search the list archives for answers to these questions but the
> only info I found referred to version 0.6, so I'm not sure that the
> info is still current.
>
> Will someone explain this to me? Is this something that should be in
> the FAQ or am I just missing something obvious?

I think its really a question of personal preference at this point in
time (some people feel more comfortable with one broker, others with
another). The java broker can run pretty much anywhere there is a jvm,
the c++ broker is more restricted (at least at present). The c++ broker
has support for some 'native' features (e.g. RDMA). As you point out the
java broker also speaks all versions of AMQP to date (the only broker
known to do so!).

Ultimately I would hope the choice would not be too significant and
switching between the two as needed would not cause much disruption to
an application, at least at the semantic level. We are moving towards a
more uniform feature set and a more uniform management schema, but are
still some way of that.

Thats just my 2cents...

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org