qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Mapping address strings to exchanges and queues
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:48:12 GMT
On 11/03/2010 03:35 AM, Wolgemuth Greg wrote:
> I'm having some trouble working with address strings in the qpid
> messaging API. I've been working through the examples in the 0.7
> programming guide and the documentation, but keep coming up short with
> 'spout' and 'drain'. Here's what I'm trying to do:
>
> #1 Create a direct exchange (call it x)
> #2 Send a message to x with a routing key (call it r)
> #3 Make a queue (call it q) that binds to x, bound on key r
> #4 Receive the message sent to x

The issue here is that your queue does not exist when the message is
published at step 2, so the message is dropped. Step 3 needs to happen
before step 2.

> Here's what I'm doing to make it happen:
>
> spout -b f.q.d.n "x/r ; { create: always, node: {type: topic, x-declare: {exchange: x,
type: direct, routing-key: r}}}"
> drain -b f.q.d.n "q ; { create: always, node: {type: queue, x-bindings: [{exchange: x,
queue: q, key: r}]}}"

> The result is that drain receives no message.

If you start drain first, and get it to wait for a message (-f is wait
forever; -t 5 would wait only for 5 seconds):

   drain -b f.q.d.n "x/r; {create: always}" -f

then run spout:

   spout -b f.q.d.n x/r

you should see drain getting the message.

I would personally tend to use static creation of exchanges (e.g. using
qpid-config) which makes the drain address identical to the spout address:

   qpid-config add exchange topic x

   drain -b f.q.d.n -f x/r
   spout -b f.q.d.n x/r

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org