qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: QPID JMS Architecture?
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 16:05:37 GMT
On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 9:08 AM, wdrozd <wdrozd@i-a-i.com> wrote:

> I don't understand what the relationship between the QPID architecture and
> JMS is. I am specifically interested in AMQP messaging. Is it just that the
> broker processes JMS message types instead of some other type, and this
> broker follows the AMQP specification?

In summary, JMS is just a messaging API.
AMQP is a messaging protocol that defines a wire format and semantic
model on how to interpret it.
Qpid implements various versions of the AMQP protocol (namely 0-8,0-9
and 0-10 and obviously 1.0 in the future).

However a general users is only interested in messaging features and
not necessarily the nitty gritty details of the underlying protocol.
For this reason all Qpid clients use a high level API which maps to
the AMQP protocol underneath.

For c++, Python and the .NET client there is a Qpid specific API.
See http://qpid.apache.org/books/0.7/Programming-In-Apache-Qpid/html/ch02.html

For Java we use the established JMS API.

Using configuration and address strings, the end user gets to
manipulate certain features of the protocol.
Please read the following doc to get a complete understanding of how
it all fits together.
http://qpid.apache.org/books/0.7/Programming-In-Apache-Qpid/html/index.html

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Rajith