qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: queue memory release
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:56:14 GMT
On 10/14/2010 12:50 PM, Adam Crain wrote:
> I am writing the list again to ask about when qpid releases memory from queues that become
bloated and are subsequently read.

> I got a response from Carl a while back who suggested the OS is the culprit and not qpid:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/qpid-users/201010.mbox/%3C4CAE3792.8080100@redhat.com%3E
>
> This explanation doesn't seem to agree with simple a cpp test program I've posted:
>
> http://gist.github.com/454032
>
> Can someone explain in more detail why Qpid's memory usage might differ from a simple
C++ example that news/deletes memory?

> thanks,
> Adam

It is possible there's some heap fragmentation going on - the memory is free (as
far as malloc/free are concerned) but cannot be returned to the OS because its
not in suitably situated contiguous blocks. However such memory is still
available to be re-used by qpidd so it won't continually take more and more
memory from the OS.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org