qpid-users mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: queue memory release
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:27:16 GMT
On 10/14/2010 12:50 PM, Adam Crain wrote:
> I am writing the list again to ask about when qpid releases memory from queues that become
bloated and are subsequently read.

> I got a response from Carl a while back who suggested the OS is the culprit and not qpid:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/qpid-users/201010.mbox/%3C4CAE3792.8080100@redhat.com%3E
>
> This explanation doesn't seem to agree with simple a cpp test program I've posted:
>
> http://gist.github.com/454032
>
> Can someone explain in more detail why Qpid's memory usage might differ from a simple
C++ example that news/deletes memory?

> thanks,
> Adam

It is released once the message has been accepted from all the queues it
is enqueued on.

take a look at the queues with qpid-tool. if they are gone, close
qpidtool and the mem is
released. if the process is still blotted that is linux lazy release.
These can be seen from when
tc_consolidate is being called.

Carl.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org