qpid-users mailing list archives

From felixehm <felix....@cern.ch>
Subject Qpid messaging design
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2010 18:12:45 GMT

Hi,

We're currently evaluating Qpid as a middleware solution and during this
process I stumbled upon some questions which I hoped to get clarified with
some of your help.

For the evaluation I have to implement a typical scenario on our site. 400
Metrics (numbers) are published every second and need to be retrieved <
300ms by max 10 subscribers. It should still be possible to subscribe to
individual values only.

In JMS words : 400 topics each subscribed by 10 Message listeners.

Now, reading the documentation and the examples the way to go is to send the
values via a topic exchange and set the routing key for each Message to the
according value identifier:
for (i=0;..){
   message.getDeliveryProperties().setRoutingKey(routing_key+i);
   async(session).messageTransfer(arg::content=message,
arg::destination="amq.topic");
}
(I'm aware that packing them into one message is very obvious and faster.
But for various reasons this is currently not possible in our environment.)

The subscriber on the other hand will subscribe using the same exchange, but
for each subscription a different routingKey.
for (i=0..){
  session.queueDeclare(arg::queue=queue+i, arg::exclusive=false,
arg::autoDelete=true);
  session.exchangeBind(arg::exchange="amq.topic", arg::queue=queue+i,
arg::bindingKey=metric1);
}

1. Is this the only way to realize the described scenario?
2. Why do I need an own queue per routing key per client (400 x 10)?
    I've tried to move the queueDeclare outside the loop to re-use the
client-specific queue. I'd imagine that the server then dispatches messages
with the according routing key to this client's queue. But apparently this
is not allowed by the client library.

It might well be that I've misunderstood some concepts and would therefore
I'd appreciate any help on this.

Cheers,
Felix