qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Comparison with RabbitMQ
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:38:49 GMT
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 6:23 AM, vivek agarwal <koolvivek2006@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we have a API for direct AMQP over Apache Qpid, instead of going through
> JMS?

We have through experience found out that most use cases can be met
with pure JMS + configuration.
The new addressing syntax give the JMS user a lot of flexibility in
leveraging the AMQP features.
Another benefit is that you could easily switch to another AMQP
version or another vendor that supports JMS without having to change
code.
The C++ and Python clients have also started to support a high level
messaging API instead of something very close to the protocol.
It allows a developer to think more in high level messaging concepts
instead of worrying about every detail of the protocol.

If you are unsure, please feel free to discuss your use cases and we
are happy to help you in figuring out the configuration etc.

> Also, I wanted to enquire if its implements AMQP .10 fully.

Yes, the Qpid JMS client implements the 0-10 version.

> I have a very specific use-case, where a consumer may consume a message, and
> acknowledge it after a long processing. So can it be done without keeping
> the Session object ( through which I received the message) open?

You can  use the client ack mode in JMS for this.
But whether you use JMS or an API closer to the protocol, you still
need to keep the session object open as the message delivery was done
within the context of that session.
May I know what your concern is in keeping the session object around?

> Thanks,
> Vivek
>

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/11/2010 03:27 PM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:

>>> As Gordon mentioned, please try both the Java and C++ broker and see
>>> what fits your needs.
>>>

>> Actually I just said try out the Java broker (as that was your preferred
>> option) to confirm it meets your needs (I believe it will).
>>
>> Not that I'd want to put you off trying the c++ broker out as well of
>> course if you have the interest :-)

>> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu