qpid-users mailing list archives

From Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Comparison with RabbitMQ
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:24:56 GMT
On 11 August 2010 14:54, vivek agarwal <koolvivek2006@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have been using RabbitMQ for quite a bit of time, and recently, we faced
> a lot of problems due to increase in volumes of messages. The messages in
> RabbitMQ are stored in memory, and hence they are limited by the physical
> memory. Is the physical memory a limitation in Apache Qpid also?

To talk specifically to the Java Broker - for transient messages the
broker stores all messages within memory, so in this case the physical
memory is also a limitation.  If the messages are marked as persistent
then the broker is only bound by the size of the disk the store is on
- for this you'll need to use either the Derby based store, or the
more mature BDB store that is available from the JBoss repository.  If
you are interested in the Java Broker I would probably recommend
either taking a build from the 0.5.x-dev branch (here the broker
speaks only AMQP 0-8 and 0-9, like Rabbit), or from trunk (where the
Java broker also speaks 0-10 like the C++ broker).  There's a few bugs
in the 0.6 release especially around the persistent store.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org