qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Comparison with RabbitMQ
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:49:40 GMT
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM, vivek agarwal <koolvivek2006@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have been using RabbitMQ for quite a bit of time, and recently, we faced
> a lot of problems due to increase in volumes of messages. The messages in
> RabbitMQ are stored in memory, and hence they are limited by the physical
> memory. Is the physical memory a limitation in Apache Qpid also?

Physical memory is not a limitation.
You could specify a per queue limit to manage memory across your
queues and then use flow-to-disk if the limits are reached.

The C++ broker supports a per queue limit (in bytes and # of messages)
and several policies if the limit is reached.
1. reject (default)  - the producer will receive an exception.
2. flow-to-disk     - the new messages will be stored in disk until
the in memory queue has room. - This is obviously going to slow down
the performance.
3. ring - start overwriting messages in a ring based on sizing

> Again, I also wanted to enquire about the acknowledgment process of a
> message. Does the interface supports "At least once" deliver of messages to
> consumers, by providing a locking and acknowledgment kind of interface?

Yes, both the C++ and Java brokers support that as they both implement
AMQP 0-10.

--
Regards,

Rajith Attapattu