qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Query regarding asynchronous acknowledgments
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:44:33 GMT
vivek agarwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do we have a API for direct AMQP over Apache Qpid, instead of going through
> JMS?
> Also, I wanted to enquire if its implements AMQP .10 fully.
>
> I have a very specific use-case, where a consumer may consume a message, and
> acknowledge it after a long processing. So can it be done without keeping
> the Session object ( through which I received the message) open?

You can't do this directly in pre 1-0 versions of the protocol. The
0-8/0-9/0-10 protocols all model acknowledgment as something that
happens within the same context as the message transfer, and if that
context goes away (i.e. the connection/session dies or is closed), then
the message is requeued.

You can achieve the equivalent of this by ensuring that each consumer
has an exclusive queue. For topics this is easy, you just have durable
queues bound into the exchange. For a shared queue scenario you'd need
extra logic (either in your clients or in a separate process) to shuffle
messages from the shared queue into the exclusive queues.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org