qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: QoS - broker
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:04:30 GMT
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:32 AM, Bruno Matos
<bruno.matos@paradigmaxis.pt> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 11:20 -0400, Carl Trieloff wrote:

>> > I'm not sure ACLs are the right place for this, as you end up
>> > conflating security (authorisation) policy with operational (resource
>> > usage) policy.
>> >
>> > Andrew.

These are borderline use cases that can be argued either way.
I think some of the use cases around QoS/resource usage can
potentially be security risks.
Infact there are outstanding JIRA's for things like limiting the
number of queues created per users etc..
The JIRA requests these be added to the ACL.

I haven't really had the opportunity to consider all the pros and cons
of each approach to make up my mind.
So I'd refrain from arguing one over the other.
However another potential approach is for these two modules to
collaborate with each other in enforcing the resource usage/QoS.
I am hoping to touch on this issue in my ACL proposal that is yet to
see any day light :).

>> Could be debated either way.  For example, can do ACL to set the max
>> queue size
>> a user can create, and what types of queues. Setting the rate of data he
>> can send
>> falls pretty much into the same category would be my view. what do
>> others think?
>>
>> Carl.
>>

> It's my opinion, but if ACL is just for access control, maybe could be a
> QoS component for the kind of things you are describing. If there are
> already some other functionality in that module, I think that doesn't
> hurt to give it a little more with a refactoring in mind for the near
> future.
>
> Kindly regards and, once again, thank you a lot!
> Bruno Matos

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu