qpid-users mailing list archives

From Brian Crowell <br...@fluggo.com>
Subject Re: QPID message throughput - Red Hat numbers
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:43:36 GMT
On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:
> Are you running the same test scenario as described in 3.3 of that document?
> I.e. Simulating "60 AMQP clients talking to the AMQP broker with 10 shared
> queues". (That is not what you get for perftest with 'default settings'
> which is why I ask what may be a stupid question).

I'm not. I wanted to start by trying to get a baseline stat for one
queue (that is, how fast can Qpid serve one session?). The actual
scenario I'm working with is closer to:

  ./perftest --mode topic --count 100000 --npubs 4 --size 100
--pub-confirm no -s

I had installed on a Windows box, but I'm comparing it to a Linux box
now, and the Linux box is trouncing it. From the comments here, it
sounds like I'll need to go Linux if I ever hope to get any
performance out of it. I had hoped there was something simple I wasn't
doing or some build option I could change, but it sounds like the OS
is a major factor.

On the above test:

Windows 2003 (8-core)
Pubs: 5671 msg/sec
Subs: 8672 msg/sec
Total: 17262 msg/sec
Throughput: 1.64 MiB/s

Debian Linux (1-core?)
Pubs: 5892 msg/sec
Subs: 11343 msg/sec
Total: 22687 msg/sec
Throughput: 2.16 MiB/s

The other thing I'm worried about is that I can push so much faster
*into* Qpid than I can pull out of it. Messages pile up in the queue
and I run out of memory fast. I suppose for that, I'll have to devote
one queue to each publisher.

--Brian

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org