qpid-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RPC over AMQP with Hessian
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 11:41:28 GMT
Le 27/05/2010 10:19, Gordon Sim a écrit :

> That is for java only, but presumably other language bindings could be
> written as well, right? Is the data format for messages fixed or can
> that be varied as well (providing it meets the expected criteria)?
>
> Any thoughts on hessian v. thrift (I admit, perhaps a little off topic
> for this list, but I am curious!)?

My layer is Java centric but it's possible to rewrite the client part in
another language (there are Hessian implementations for C, C#, Ruby,
Python and more). The message format is not Java specific [1].

I haven't tried Thrift yet. It's probably easier to use if cross
language interoperability is an important requirement. But in a Java
only scenario I prefer the simplicity of Hessian (no IDL). On the
performance side Thrift seems to have an advantage [2].

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] http://hessian.caucho.com/doc/hessian-ws.html
[2] http://wiki.github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/