qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: How to limit creation of log files created
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 08:52:43 GMT
Hi Eric,

On 04/30/2010 08:53 PM, Linder, Eric wrote:
> I have a directory that contains content like below.   It is generated in the qpiddata
directory when using
> the persistence mechanism associated with Red Hat Messaging...the commercial version
of QPID.
> I actually don't know if they are related.  I am not sure of the purpose of these log
files.  Deleting them does
> not seem to have an effect on the running of the brokers.
>
> The number of "log.0000000001 " files that are created when running our applications
is enormous.

> My Question:  Is there a way to limit the creation of these log files?

Not at present. They are created by Berkeley DB which is used to record
the configuration information (queues, exchanges, bindings etc) and in
limited cases the messages themselves: so called 'staged' messages whose
size exceeds the --staging-threshold for qpidd and transient message
that trigger a 'flow-to-disk' policy.

Note that both these cases where message data is stored in BDB have now
been removed from the latest code on trunk which will drastically reduce
the growth of the files.

Some links that may be useful in managing the logs in the meantime:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/programmer_reference/transapp_logfile.html

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/programmer_reference/transapp_archival.html

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/api_reference/C/db_archive.html

--Gordon.