qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Total Ordering Guarantee?
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:13:53 GMT
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:15 PM, jerdavis <jerdavis@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> What total order guarantees does qpid provide?
>
> Assuming a Queue with 1 Producer, and 1 Consumer, are there any cases where
> I can have a consumer pre-fetch some number of messages, then crash, then
> have another consumer start up and have the message stream be out of order?
> If so are there any protections against that?

Under normal circumstances, for a single producer and consumer pair on
a queue, we do guarantee the ordering.
However if a consumer crashes (while some messages are in it's
prefetch buffer) and somehow the tcp connection remains intact, and
then if the client reconnects quickly enough (before the broker
realizes the old connection is dead) then the messages that were not
acked will be delivered after to the new consumer only after the
broker realizes the old consumer was dead.
However any messages redelivered are marked with the redelivery flag.

> I have seen some brokers define an "Exclusive Consumer" such that only one
> consumer is allowed to consume from a queue at a time. Any messages that are
> "in doubt" buffered on a consumer when it crashes are automatically
> recovered once a new "Exclusive Consumer" connects up, and the total
> ordering is preserved. I see there is an Exclusive Consumer in AMQP, does it
> provide this functionality?

If you use an exclusive subscription on a queue, then the broker will
only release the lock, if the current session that owns the lock is
destroyed.
Hence any messages that were transferred but were not acked will be
put on to the queue before the other consumer is allowed, preserving
the ordering.