qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: SubscriptionManager performance problem.
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:38:54 GMT
On 02/25/2010 04:51 PM, David Stewart wrote:
> Hi all,
> we are running a bridge between our old middleware and qpid system which at startup queries
the existing middleware for the number of broadcast groups it knows about. It is a pricing
system so there are ~20000.

> The bridge creates a fanout exchange for each broadcast group, creates a queue and binds
it to the exchange. All this takes ~75 seconds for 20000. Not a problem.

> When we add a SubscriptionManager.subscribe() to the loop we get though 1000 requests
in ~3 minutes.
> I have created an example below which exhibits the problem. The question are we using
the SubscriptionManager incorrectly?

Is oSession an AsyncSession or a SyncSession (a plain Session is a
SyncSession)? Each call to SubscriptionManager::subscribe() will involve
a sync() which will certainly reduce the rate you can get through them,
but 1000 in ~3 minutes seems slow even then.

> Is there a better way for us to achieve the result we require?
>
> for (int i=0; i<  20000; ++i) {
>          std::stringstream ss; ss<<  "listener"<<  i;
>

>          // Try and declare the exchange. Will succeed even if it already exists.
>          oSession.exchangeDeclare(qpid::client::arg::exchange=ss.str(),
>                                          qpid::client::arg::type="fanout",
>                                          qpid::client::arg::alternateExchange=std::string(),
>                                          qpid::client::arg::passive=false,
>                                          qpid::client::arg::durable=true);
>
>          oSession.queueDeclare(qpid::client::arg::queue=ss.str(),
>                                  qpid::client::arg::exclusive=true,
>                                  qpid::client::arg::autoDelete=false);
>
>          oSession.exchangeBind(qpid::client::arg::exchange=ss.str(),
>                                          qpid::client::arg::queue=ss.str(),
>                                          qpid::client::arg::bindingKey=ss.str());
>
>          oSubscriptionManager.subscribe(*this, ss.str());
> }
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the
addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please
do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify
the sender by replying to this email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and then delete
the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc.) that do not relate to the official
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG Index
Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales under number 01190902. VAT registration number
761 2978 07. Registered Office: Friars House, 157-168 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8EZ. Authorised
and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA Register number 114059.