qpid-users mailing list archives

From jerdavis <jerda...@speakeasy.net>
Subject Total Ordering Guarantee?
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 01:15:54 GMT

What total order guarantees does qpid provide?

Assuming a Queue with 1 Producer, and 1 Consumer, are there any cases where
I can have a consumer pre-fetch some number of messages, then crash, then
have another consumer start up and have the message stream be out of order?
If so are there any protections against that?

I have seen some brokers define an "Exclusive Consumer" such that only one
consumer is allowed to consume from a queue at a time. Any messages that are
"in doubt" buffered on a consumer when it crashes are automatically
recovered once a new "Exclusive Consumer" connects up, and the total
ordering is preserved. I see there is an Exclusive Consumer in AMQP, does it
provide this functionality?

Thanks,
-JD