qpid-users mailing list archives

From Jen Andre <jan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Connection: read timed out
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:15:11 GMT

"The "Read timed out" is due to the java client not receiving anything
from the broker for two consecutive heartbeats. "

It seems from the inner exception (java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read
timed out) that the error is a TCP/IP socket timeout... I added some code to
the that prints out SO_TIMEOUT and that seems to be set to 0 (unlimited) so
it is indeed strange.

This happens reliably (every single time it runs) *only* on this one
machine.

"However you mentioned that if you run the java client from another
machine it doesn't happen. What is the difference btw these two
machines? "

In reality, I'm not sure what the difference is between the machines... they
are both RHEL Linux VM images that started out the same, but one is in our
QA environment.  The JVM is the exact same.   I can investigate CPU and
load, but I imagine they would not be too high since neither is production
(a quick netstat and lsof doesn't indicate a bizarre # of sockets open).
Running the code from a windows machine connecting to linux broker results
in no timeouts either.