qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Bad allocation error
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:13:33 GMT
On 01/12/2010 08:53 AM, denny86 wrote:

> Gordon Sim wrote:
>>

>> So the crash was happening when you were manually accepting. Was autoAck
>> set to 0 or left as the default value?
>>

> Yes crash occur, when calling messageAccept()
> Left autoAck as default value. Or non-zero. doesn't matter

Just to follow up on this, I've done some testing here (on linux) and I
believe the memory growth in this case is due to message build up in the
dispatch queue.

The broker sends messages as fast as it can and in the client these are
read in by an 'io thread' internal to the client library. The dispatch
thread then takes these messages and pushes them to listeners. However
as the Subscription::accept() method is synchronous, this will slow the
dispatch thread down while the io thread keeps reading in messages and
queueing them for the dispatcher.

The way to deal with this is to set some flow control. E.g. if you are
acking every N messages, set a window of N*2 (or similar multiple). That
prevents the clients memory growing without bounds.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org