qpid-users mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: python client new api: declaring and binding
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:47:52 GMT

Jason Pellerin wrote:
> And on a more high level, I'm wondering why the receiver/sender target
> specification works by parsing arguments and pseudo-dicts out of a string
> instead of something like:
>
> r = session.receiver(exchange=e, routing_key=k, create='always')
>
> ...which to me at least is more clear.

We've chosen to define the source/target specifications as strings
because we'd like the syntax and semantics to be compatible across
clients in the different languages, i.e. we'd like you to be able to cut
and paste the same source/target specification between C++, Java, and
Python clients and get identical results.

We also want to make it easy to put these specifications into config
files or grab them from the command line rather than hard coding them.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org