qpid-users mailing list archives

From William Henry <whe...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: How to know when a message could not be enqueued?
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:01:24 GMT

----- "Acácio Centeno" <acacio.centeno@terra.com.br> wrote:

> Hi,
>

>                 How do a producer app knows when a message could not
> be
> delivered? I post a message to a queue that does not exist, and the
> QPid log
> states:
>

> 2009-oct-01 14:00:35 info DirectExchange amq.direct could not route
> message
> with key bridge.account.usage; no matching binding found
>

>                 But the application receives no indication about the
> problem.

Currently, as far as I know, AMQP/Qpid does not assume that there is a problem. I.e. the standard
decouples exchanges from queues. If a publisher publishes to an exchange but there is no binding
to a queue then it assumes that there is nobody interested in such a message and it drops
it.

One way around this is to bind a default queue to the direct exchange for all messages and
just have a consumer log them. That way they can be conceptually dropped but at least you'd
have a log of the contents of the dropped messages.

William

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org