qpid-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Kramer <j...@globalherald.net>
Subject Re: How to properly implement a 1-to-N pattern
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:17:48 GMT

Hello Acacio,

You can use the Fanout exchange.  Or, you can use a publish-subscribe
model.  Each server queue that is subscribed to a certain topic on the
Publish-Subscribe exchange will recieve a message with that topic.  So if
you have 5 server queues subscribed to the topic "weather", then they will
all receive messages with the topic "weather".

In turn, you can have any number of local queues listening to the server
queue.  The local queues are served in a round-robin fashion.  So, if you
have three local queues listening to one server queue, then only one of
the local queues will receive any message bound for the server queue.

You can combine this.  Suppose, for example, that you have 15 application
servers.  You have five different events that you listen for; each event
has a cluster of three servers used for processing.  To make this work,
you create 5 server queues and subscribe them each to the appropriate
topic... then, to each of the 5 server queues set up 3 local queues for
listening.  In this way, each server queue will distribute requests to its
own three-server cluster in a round robin manner.

I have a Linux Journal article set to be published in November covering
these topics.  Let me know if you have more questions.

best,
-JK

--

-----