qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: remote byte-order
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:47:29 GMT
On 09/16/2009 07:34 PM, Bill Whiting wrote:
> I'm replacing other messaging with qpid.  I have code for marshalling
> and demarshalling data that uses byte-order to know how to handle
> integers. I can add a custom property to the message that provides byte
> order, but it would be preferrable to have the byte-order of the sender
> implemented in the API.

I'm not as convinced. It doesn't seem like the sort of information that
most applications will want automatically included in their headers
which means you would need some mechanism to enable it, and in that case
are you really gaining much?

In the general case the content type would need to be set by the
application anyway, to let the receivers know the format. Appending
information on the byte-order to that seems like a reasonable approach
to me since it is relevant only to the decoding.