qpid-users mailing list archives

From Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: How to properly implement a 1-to-N pattern
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:55:43 GMT
acacio.centeno@terra.com.br wrote:

>     *
>
> 	Hi,
> 	                By what I’ve read on the AMQP specification,
> should I have N consumers to a queue, for each message posted to it,
> one of the consumers is going to be activated in round-robin. The
> spec call this a store-and-forward-queue (section 2.1.1). What If I
> want to have all the consumers alerted about each message posted?
> 	                I figured that I could manage to have each of them
> creating a queue and binding it to a fanout Exchange. Then, for each
> message posted to the Exchange, all the queues would get their copies
> and thus all the consumers would be alerted about it.
> 	                So, is this the right way to implement the scenario
> of having a producer activating N consumers or is there another type
> of exchange/queue that would give me this functionality?
> 	Thanks in advance,
>
> 	Acácio
>    BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }

Yes, that is correct.  If multiple consumers are to receive the same
messages, each consumer should have its own queue for a copy of the message.

Note that this is still efficient since the broker only keeps one copy
of the message in memory and places references on the queues.

Regards,

-Ted

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org