qpid-users mailing list archives

From William Henry <whe...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Broker (qpidd) footprint
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:50:34 GMT

----- "Carl Trieloff" <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:

> William Henry wrote:
> > Has anyone done any broker memory footprint sizing exercises?
> >
> > I've done a very adhoc and limited investigation. I see that a
> default qpidd without any plugins seems to use 5Mb of memory (5072Kb).
> As I added some queues and exchanges I saw 8Kb increases. Sometimes it
> didn't seem linear. E.g. is appears that adding exchanges will only
> see the 8K increase every 2 exchanges.
> >
> > (Test done on 64bit Fedora 11 on a Lenova Thinkpad T61)
> >
> > Is this is line with other peoples findings?
> >
> > I haven't done anything with plugins yet but I'd be interested in
> some feedback or if anyone has developed a script for testing
> footprint scalability.
> >

> yea, that is because of the way Linux grabs memory pages, and it does
>
> not run mem consolidate until it needs to
>
> Carl.

Right. If anyone else has any other observations I'm interested. I wasn't specifically looking
for an answer to the page behavior , it was just an observation.  Thanks Carl. I am also looking
for other observations or useful testing tips or scripts, before I start investing too much
time into this exercise.

William