qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 0.5 C++ example listener hangs during testing
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:50:39 GMT
lroloson wrote:
> Carl,
>
> I tried you experiment this AM, and basically - if I unplug the cable on the
> linux end, and kill the listener on the other end (today I was using a linux
> listener on a separate machine), it works fine. When I plug the cable back
> in (a couple minutes later) & restart the listener, all the messages come in
> order.
>
> I repeated the same test without restarting the listener - I let it get in a
> loop where it tries to reconnect when the connection is broken. The
> connection is reestablished shortly after I plug the cable back in, and the
> messages are received out of order (same as before). Additionally - some of
> the messages do not get sent, I have to restart the client to get the
> missing messages ... they are all delivered, but it takes a reconnect and a
> restart to get them.

Looking at the '.reconnect' logs, the broker shows that messages 1 - 54
were sent out on one connection of which the first 10 were acked; then
55 - 200 were sent out on another connection; then 11 - 54 were sent on
a third connection.

The broker logs the disconnection of the second of these connections
just before the disconnection of the first connection which explains why
messages 11-54 were not delivered to it - they were still 'locked' by
the first connection. A third connection is then opened and it receives
those messages, now requeued.

If you are able, I'd suggest trying the broker from trunk. The broker
code has been modified since 0.5 such that it will detect the loss of
the connection based on lack of heartbeats in the same way the client
does and release the unacked messages.

With 0.5, if your client requests an exclusive subscription, then
instead of getting messages delivered out of order in this case, you
would get an error trying to resubscribe. That may (or may not!) be
useful to you.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org