qpid-users mailing list archives

From "Leglise Yann" <ylegl...@sopragroup.com>
Subject RE: Mixing up AMQP QPID and JMS
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:47:30 GMT
Hello Robert,

I am not particulary trying to create queues dynamically. I am in fact trying to determine
if by using the JMS QPID implementation leads to an AMQP compliant behaviour. I mean, by using
JMS, as soon as a use a consumer on an non-existing queue, this queue is automatically created
in the broker. Would this happen if I used "low level" QPID java, or C++ or python?
As we discussed before, QPID is an implementation of AMQP, so I expected that whichever was
the underlying language or library used, the use of QPID would lead to the same result, i.e.
the behaviour specified in AMQP.
As I have read that in AMQP queues should be explicitely declared, I was just wondering if
the automatic queue creation achieved through JMS was acceptable since it was not the behaviour
described by AMQP, or in other words, I am wondering if the JMS QPID implementation is AMQP
compliant.

Regards.

Yann LEGLISE

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Robert Greig [mailto:robert.j.greig@gmail.com]
Envoyé : mercredi 19 août 2009 20:13
À : users@qpid.apache.org
Objet : Re: Mixing up AMQP QPID and JMS

2009/8/19 Leglise Yann <yleglise@sopragroup.com>:

> 2) If it is, are both implementations equivalent and compliant with AMQP the same way?
I am asking because using JMS, when you create a Consumer on a queue that is not declared
as an administered object, this queue is created in the broker.

This isn't generally the case, it is dependent on the message broker you are using. Nearly
all brokers will have permissions to limit which clients can create queues.

> I believe this a a normal JMS behaviour, but I have read somewhere that in AMQP, queues
must be explicitly declared, what I understood by "if queues are not explicitly declared,
they cannot be used".

This is likely referring to the underlying protocol. Higher level APIs such as JMS are designed
to shield the developer from the low level details.

Are you trying to write an application that requires queues be created dynamically at run-time
by a client?

Robert

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org