qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: 0.5 C++ example listener hangs during testing
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:20:58 GMT
lroloson wrote:
> I have added some reconnect logic to the example listener that I am running
> on windows, and now when the connection is broken the listener reconnects
> and I can continue receiving messages. At this point I have not detected any
> missing messages. I have received one duplicate message, but I believe that
> is to be expected when I break the ethernet connection in the middle of
> transmission.

Yes, delivered but unacknowledged messages will be requeued and then
redelivered to subscribers.

> I also noticed that all the messages are delivered, however some are
> delivered out of order. I have been testing with serialized messages, when
> the connection remains constant - i get messages 1-10 in order. But, if the
> connection is broken (lets say at message 3) - when I restore the connection
> some time later -  I do not get 4, I get a message that was created later
> (say 8 for example). The message delivery order becomes scrambled - lets say
> 1,2,3,8,9,4,5,6,7,10. Is there a way to get the messages to be delivered in
> order?

You are using the 0.5 client and broker, right? I suspect this is due to
the fact that the broker does not immediately detected the broken client
connection and so does not requeue the messages it had sent before the
client has reconnected.

Do you get the same behaviour if the listener is on linux?

On the trunk now the broker has similar heartbeat checks to the client
and will abort the connection if two are missed; that may also help.

If you can enable more logging for the broker (e.g. --log-enable trace+)
that would probably shed some more light on the issue.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org