qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Journal Full Error
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 07:51:00 GMT
Carl Trieloff wrote:
> Kim van der Riet wrote:

>>> being accepted into a slower interim storage, not being rejected or
>>> causing the broker to crash.
>>> This is incorrect. However, staged messages (ie messages that exceed a
>>> broker per-message size threshold) are stored outside the journal in
>>> BDB.
>>>

>> I take this back; Gordon is correct. Transient messages are in fact
>> stored in BDB.
>
> Sorry to banter on the user list.
> - Message where the size is larger than  --default-queue-limit BYTES
> (104857600) go to non journal storage

I believe you mean to refer to the --staging-threshold parameter here;
this is the threshold at which a large message is written to disk as it
arrives (messages smaller than this limit are written once the full
message has been received).

The default-queue-limit sets the max in-memory size for the queue (i.e.
the cumulative size of all messages); for a durable queue this is the
point at which further messages will be 'flowed-to-disk'.

> - All other messages, transient or durable if flow_to_disk go to the
> Journal. (just checked the code on this point)

I believe this is also incorrect. Transient messages that are deemed to
have exceeded the queue limit of a flow-to-disk queue are only released
from memory after they are written to disk via the
'MessageStore::stage()' method which in the journal based store is
written to a BDB database not the queue's journal.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org