qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: what does the producer client do if the queue in a qpid cluster is full?
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:23:19 GMT
Shan Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>

> If the queue to which the producer connected is full, what would the
> producer do? Will it just drop the message or buffer it for a while.

It will depend on the policy set. The default policy for a temporary
queue (for all queues if no store plugin is loaded) is to simply reject
new messages (which will end the producers session).

The default for durable queues is to write new messages to disk (whether
or not the message itself is marked persistent) and then release the
contents from memory to be loaded again for delivery to a subscriber.

> Is
> the behaviour going to be the same as the queue is shutdown? We've had a
> performance issue with a c++ producer client when the broker is
> complaining full capacity. So I wonder if a full queue will make the
> producer exceptionally busy or consuming large memory.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Shan
>

> The information contained in this email is strictly confidential and for the use of the
addressee only, unless otherwise indicated. If you are not the intended recipient, please
do not read, copy, use or disclose to others this message or any attachment. Please also notify
the sender by replying to this email or by telephone (+44 (0)20 7896 0011) and then delete
the email and any copies of it. Opinions, conclusions (etc.) that do not relate to the official
business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. IG Index
plc is a company registered in England and Wales under number 01190902. VAT registration number
761 2978 07. Registered Office: Friars House, 157-168 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8EZ. Authorised
and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA Register number 114059.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org