qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Binary Data Transfer
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 14:11:19 GMT
Wes Parish wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but unless you serialize the data better than that, it will
not be portable between different hardware platforms (i.e. 32bit vs 64bit, x86 vs PPC vs Sun,
etc...).  This gets into more than just endianization (which is also handled by the buffer
class).

You're correct, the binary data needs to be encoded in a form that can be
understood by the message recipients. Qpid is neutral as to encodings. You can
use qpid::framing::Buffer if it suits your needs (discussed elsewhere on this
thread) or you can use any other encoding that suits your application.

only data type in qpid/client/Message.h is the std::string (data field of TransferContent.h).

>> I am interested in transferring segments of binary data, and not ascii strings.
Is this possible with the current Qpid C++ API implementation?  I have not researched the
AMQP protocol much yet, but had assumed this would be possible with the wire protocol.  If
it is not currently implemented, but it is possible, would it be as simple as overridding
the TransferContent and Message classes and working backwards from there?