qpid-users mailing list archives

From Sandy Pratt <prat...@adobe.com>
Subject A few clustering/failover questions
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 01:23:56 GMT
I've been experimented with failover on a cluster of two brokers, and I often see this log
item when a broker fails:

2009-mar-04 17:11:19 debug Exception constructed: Attempted size underflow on dequeue(21):
size: max=104857600, current=0; count: unli
mited; type=flow_to_disk (qpid/broker/QueuePolicy.cpp:54)

What does underflow mean here?

The broker seems to have died:

[prattrs@hsvrhm5 qpidd]$ sudo /sbin/service qpidd status
qpidd dead but pid file exists

The test I was running failed over to the other broker and completed after a timeout expired.

A subsequent test immediately failed over to the other broker and completed (which makes sense
because qpid on the first broker was probably dead before it started).

In a general sense, what are the steps required to recover from a broker failure?  What I
am looking for is step #3 below:

Assume a cluster of two brokers, A and B
1) A dies
2) clients fail over to B
3) do something to recover A without interrupting clients of B
4) A and B are again interchangeable

I've looked through the docs and haven't seen anything about this.  Apologies if I missed
it.  I also tried simply restarting A, which doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

Sandy