qpid-users mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: A few clustering/failover questions
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:53:48 GMT
Sandy Pratt wrote:
> [snip]
>

>> It's that simple. What will happen is that the restarted node be will
>> be re-synced to the active state of node B, and you can continue on.
>> the clients will also be notified that
>> the cluster-membership changes (Java & C++), so even if node B is
>> brought back on a different IP address the client will know where to
>> fail-over to.
>>

> Correction,  no rename of the jrnl dir is required, it will do that for
> you automatically.... just restart node A with the same cluster-name as
> node B.
>
> It will do the rest for you...
> Carl.
>

> ..
>
> Thanks for the clarification, Carl.  I wonder if my broker is in a bad state.  I'll re-initialize
the installation and see what happens.  As to that, do you recommend clearing out /var/lib/qpidd
to re-init?

> Thanks,
>
> Sandy

yes, best is to clear the data-directories.

How it works is as follows, only one store is needed to recover, so if
all the nodes in the cluster are killed, the best practice is to find
the one with the latest time stamp, (last node to go down) and then to
rename, move or delete the rest. then restart the node with the store to
recover from first.

There are thoughts to do this automatically, but this could so the wrong
thing is the machines don't have there clocks synced, so today it is
left to the user.

To clean start, just delete all the data under /var/lib/qpidd

Carl.