qpid-users mailing list archives

From "GS.Chandra N" <gs.chandra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Memory pile up on broker
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:15:23 GMT
Hi,

I found that if i kept the qpid-tool open long enough all my clients and
publishers would throw exceptions and come out.

Earlier when i was performing my tests i had 3 putty windows opened to all
the 3 servers and it seems as if, i was keeping qpid-tool opened just long
enough to cause build up but closing it to run top and so on a so forth such
that the memory piled up but did not cause timeouts at the client either.

Observations

1.When there are subscriptions and a qpid-tool around messages seem to pile
up. Why is this so? *
*
2. When there are no subscribers and no qpid-tool the publishing processes
cause the CPu to go to 90% at the publishing box. But when i started up
subscribers, the publishing box CPU fell to 0% and all the python processes
piled up memory.

Concern : I'm not able to find out here if the publishers are still able to
send out messages at the speed that it should when subscriptions are around.
Or perhaps the broker is not able to pull enough messages - iam not sure
which of this is happeneing. Probably latter? How do i tell?

If i use qpid-tool to connect to the broker at this point, every time i hit
show exchange i get the same stats with the same time stamp. it looks like
the broker is too busy trying to match subscriptions even to refresh the
stats.

3.Concern : Once the subscriptions are made, the CPU at the broker box* *(high
end dual core XEON with ht) goes to 90%.  Even at this level, i'm not sure
the broker is able to match and discard all the messages fast enough (due to
2nd observation). Or how do i tell?

Thanks
gs

ps : Is there a sure shot way to find out the message rates ? (I currently
use qpid-tool show exchange command to find the no of msgRecieves and divide
by time-dfference from 2 times the command is run)