qpid-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Kramer <j...@globalherald.net>
Subject Routing with Google Protocol Buffers
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:58:21 GMT

Howdy Folks,

I wanted to throw out an idea.  Is anybody using QPid to pass messages
based on Google's Protocol Buffers (PB)?  Would it be beneficial to write
an exchange that routes messages based on something like a jquery, only on
PB messages instead of XML?

I am using Protocol Buffers in a blog I'm creating.  The front end, based
in Django, sends requests via PB through Qpid to some Rpython-based
modeling software I wrote.  PB took less time to implement in Python than
a comparable XML solution would have taken.

>From the PB site:  "Protocol buffers are what you use if your network link
is already saturated and your CPU's are already overused."  They are 3 to
10 times smaller, and 20 to 100 times faster than XML.  You write a
definition of your data's structure, then the PB compiler will give you
objects in Java, Python, or C++.  Far easier to use than XML.

http://code.google.com/apis/protocolbuffers/

Cheers,
-Josh

--