qpid-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Federation and ACLs
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:48:31 GMT
Mark Moseley wrote:
> My question is: is that a normal consequence of federation, i.e. that
> credentials aren't passed around and that neither the authenticated
> sender nor the user used to create the static route is used as the
> 'id' on the dest side?

That is a defect in the current implementation[1]. The destination
broker opens a connection to the source broker and this connection is
authenticated using the username/password supplied for the source broker
in the qpid-route arguments.

The problem at present is that the destination broker doesn't have an
identity associated with the connection, so when transfers come in
response to the subscription set up for a bridge, no userid is available
for testing permissions (or rather the empty string is used).

A short-term fix is just to use the userid with which that connection
authenticated itself to the source broker. That will get around the
immediate problem, but it does mean that the source broker needs to be
trusted (it hasn't been authenticated to the source broker, the source
broker has been authenticated to it). SSL can be used if that trust
needs to be made explicit.

GSSAPI authentication would also server. Unfortunately only anonymous
and plain are currently supported as mechanisms for inter-broker
links[2]. That will also be fixed shortly I hope.

(By way of clarification on a related point, the original sender may
include their userid in each published message. This will be verified by
the first broker to receive it (i.e. the specified userid will be
checked against the connections authenticated id). Once that broker has
accepted it however, subsequent brokers in any federation routes assume
the identity of the original publisher to be already checked. Provided
that all the brokers through which the message passes are trusted, the
publisher id can be relied on by the final receiver of the message).

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-1671
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-1672

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org