qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [c++] boolean options for qpidd
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:39:15 GMT
Rajith Attapattu wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Alan Conway wrote:

>>> I prefer the --auth yes/no style, as the "presence" style is a bit awkward
>>> for config files and environment variables. E.g. it's not obvious that
>>>
>>>  QPID_TRACE= ./qpidd
>>>
>>> is *enabling* trace. Similarly having entries in a config file with no
>>> value or an empty value is a bit strange.
>> Actually you can specify QPID_TRACE=yes, QPID_TRACE=true (or QPID_TRACE=no,
>> QPID_TRACE=false) and that is interpreted as you would expect. I.e.
>> QPID_TRACE=false does not turn tracing on. Likewise in a conf file you can
>> have trace=false. (Smart people those boost developers!).

Well that reverses my opinion :) If only one style is allowed I think I prefer
the presence style. Where we have an args flag for the non-default state and no
flag for the default state. So that would be --no-auth to disable auth and in
config/env vars it would be no-auth=true or NO_AUTH=false. (no-auth=yes is odd
looking but not obligatory!)

That said I don't feel strongly. So if someone things its urgent to be
consistent let the start a vote, otherwise we can leave it where it is.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org