qpid-users mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [c++] boolean options for qpidd
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:54:18 GMT
Gordon Sim wrote:
> We have two forms in use for boolean options to qpidd. The first form
> is where the presence of an option implies that its value is true. E.g.
>
>   --no-module-dir
>   --no-data-dir
>   --tcp-nodelay
>   --require-encryption
>
>   -t --trace
>   -d --daemon
>   -c --check
>   -q --quit
>   -h --help
>
> The second is where the value for the boolean follows the option. E.g.
>
>   -m --mgmt-enable yes|no
>   --auth yes|no
>
> Does anyone have a strong view on the desirability of making this more
> consistent? I myself have a slight preference for --no-auth over
> --auth no; I'm less bothered about the --mgmt-enable option but that
> could be --no-mgmt.

I prefer the --auth yes/no style, as the "presence" style is a bit awkward for
config files and environment variables. E.g. it's not obvious that

  QPID_TRACE= ./qpidd

is *enabling* trace. Similarly having entries in a config file with no value or
an empty value is a bit strange.

I'd make an exception for
 >   -d --daemon
 >   -c --check
 >   -q --quit
 >   -h --help
because these are really process control flags, not configuration. They don't
make sense in a config file or as env. vars.

For --no-data/module-dir I think I'd prefer it replaced by a special value  of
e.g. --module-dir=no

> The next question is whether - if we do change these - we should also
> keep the original options for backward compatability?

I'd prefer not to, I guess it depends on the user impact. If most users are
using "service start qpidd" as recommended then that takes care of command line
args. We could provide a simple tool to migrate config files.

Note that it will be awkard to support both --tcp-nodelay and --tcp-nodelay=yes
at the same time, I don't think the standard boost option parsers will work that
way.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org