qpid-users mailing list archives

From Martin Ritchie <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Java Broker Configuration
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:30:35 GMT
Hi,

I've been thinking about our configuration files for a while as I'm
sure others have. I've copied this email to the user list so that any
of our current users can see what I am suggesting and hopefully have
some input.

I've put up some details of what we would like to achive with any redesign:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Java+Broker+Configuration+Design

I would say we can do some initial small steps to improve the
situation we have without drastically changing the structure.

The suggestion on the wiki and JIRA(QPID-1612) is to leverage the
functionality in Commons Configuration to split our configuration in
to a number of files:
Environement
Config
Virtualhosts

This would then allow validation of the environment and config files
using standard xml formats and all handled by commons configuration.
In addition it would then allow us to have an optional user-config
file that the user could use to override values in the configuration.
Handy for environments where there needs to be a single default
configuration but broker instances need to have specific config.

I feel this approach is appropriate as it is a small change that is
backward compatible and should make it easier to redesign the our
virtualhost configuration.

As allways comments on this short term approach and any potential
future solutions for virtualhosts or the whole configuration are most
welcome.

Regards
Martin
--