qpid-users mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: AMQP Paper, using Qpid
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:00:14 GMT
gregory james marsh wrote:

> Hi Carl,
>
> A question from our group about the following client params you mentioned
> in your email (included below):
>
>   --max-frame-size N (65535)        the maximum frame size to request.
>   --bounds-multiplier N (2)         bound size of write queue (as a
> multiple of
>                                     the max frame size).
>   --tcp-nodelay                     Turn on tcp-nodelay
>
> Could you further explain/clarify the behavior of "--bounds-multiplier".
> We read over the code comments in
>
> trunk/qpid/cpp/src/qpid/client/ConnectionSettings.h

It is used to determine how many messages/frames the producing thread in
the application can
get ahead of the IO layer. so 1 means lockstep, 2 is 2x etc...

A low value will decrease the time that a message can 'age' in the
buffer to be sent on the wire, but
could hurt throughput, a large number can increase throughput but hurt
latency (aging )....  The tuning
of this number obviously is network setup dependent.

Also, some basic server tuning can be done which depending on your gear
should improve your
numbers significantly.

With fame size, rough guess is to set it ~ 100bytes larger than the
message size you want to benchmark
for low latency.

regards
Carl.